Friday, July 6, 2012

Serenity Self Defense, Round 2

In 2009, I learned of the murder of a young girl from Texas. Her name is Melanie Goodwin and her story completely changed my life. I was inspired to start a self-defense organization with the hopes of educating and training women in the Charleston area at no charge. However, being a full-time student while working 40 hours a week did not allow this to happen. I was contacted by many members in the community who were interested in helping Serenity come to life, but the timing just was not right. Here we are nearly three years later and I feel like the time is now. My schedule has adjusted vastly and I feel that I will be able to devote time and energy to this project, but this time the goal is different. 

* Instead of hosting training sessions, this website with exist to point people in the right direction. Charleston has numerous self-defense organizations and I will be listing upcoming events on this site. I will post weekly, and I hope that this website will be a place of encouragement and hope.

Weekly posts 

Safety tips and basic self-defense techniques 

Encouraging stories of victims who fought off their attackers

Victims of crime that are gone, but not forgotten

United States statistics regarding crime prevention

My long term goal is to become a certified self-defense instructor, and host fundraising events throughout the year to raise money for the Melanie Goodwin Scholarship Fund. After all, the Lord used her to direct me to this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment